Michael was born in Huddersfield, into what has now become the world-famous Whitaker family. Starting on his mums riding school ponies more than 45 years ago, his record now stands at an amazing 202 Nations Cup appearance, 17 Championship medals, including a Silver Olympic medal and four Gold European medals.
Now living in Nottinghamshire with his family, Michael has had an extraordinary career which he still has an amazing zest for, whether it be competing in huge Grand Prix’s in England and abroad, schooling and bringing on stars of the future or teaching his son Jack.
- He has had numerous 5* wins throughout his longstanding career and has been number one in the world
- At the age of 16, he made his debut in international competitions and in 1980 he became the second youngest winner of the Hickstead Derby, at the age of 20
- He has won both the King’s Cup and the Hickstead Derby four times. He has competed in five Olympic Games, four World Championships and 12 European Championships
- Michael became the first British showjumper since 1997 to claim Europe’s most prestigious class, the Aachen Grand Prix, in 2012
- And, still going strong, he is continuously placed in CSI and Grand Prix classes
Michael’s latest results can be found here.