Need further help?
Call: 0845 345 2627
Forage should ideally form the largest part of your horse’s ration and since each forage harvest is different, having information relating to the quality of your forage can be very useful when formulating and managing your horse's ration. Therefore, why not consider having your forage analysed as part of formulating a balanced diet.
Dodson & Horrell offer Forage Analysis Services that are carried out in the on-site Laboratory or in External Laboratories, depending on which service you require. Your forage report will include numerical results and an interpretation of these results and turnaround times for these reports vary depending on which service you would like carried out.
The Dodson & Horrell Forage Analysis Service offers the following analyses:
- Proximate Analysis for Hay/Straw/Grass: Measures Dry Matter (%), Crude Protein (%), Ash (%), Sugar (%), NDF (% Neutral Detergent Fibre), DE (MJ/kg Digestible Energy) for all samples.
- Proximate Analysis for Haylage: Measures Dry Matter (%), Crude Protein (%), Ash (%), Sugar (%), NDF (% Neutral Detergent Fibre), DE (MJ/kg Digestible Energy) and pH for all samples.
- Basic Mineral Analysis: Calcium (%), Copper (ppm), Iron (ppm), Magnesium (ppm), Manganese (ppm), Phosphorus (%), Potassium (%), Sodium (%) and Zinc (ppm).
- Comprehensive Mineral Analysis: Measures those for Minerals A plus Cobalt (ppm), Iodine (ppm), Molybdenum (ppm), Nitrogen (%), Selenium (ppm) and Sulphur (%).
- Hygiene Analysis: Measures Moulds (cfu/g), Yeasts (cfu/g) and Thermophilic Actinomycetes (cfu/g).
Turnaround times differ for each service and are based on results for one sample only and apply to working days. If more than one sample is sent or multiple analyses are required, reports will not be sent out until all reports have been authorised.
For further information on costs, turnaround times, sampling instructions and how to send samples into Dodson & Horrell Limited, please download our Forage Analysis form. Samples should fit into an A4 sized bag suitable for freezing.
To purchase Forage Analysis online – please click here. Following purchase, please send in your labelled sample and completed Forage Analysis Form.